From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:38:08 -0600
Matt:
The IC T90 does in fact replace a scanner and FM radio.
The issue with its scanning feature is, that, as with most amateur
transceivers, the scan rate is extremely slow when compared to a regular
scanner.
So, for instance, when you program 200 channels into a regular uniden  or
radio shack scanner, it will scan all 200 channels in a matter of about 1
second or less.  On the IC T90A, and all other ham radios i have ever used,
that many channels would take nearly 20 seconds to scan through just once.
Which makes it fairly useless as a scanner, because by the time you get to a
channel that has traffic, the traffic is done and you have missed the
transmission.
As far as FM broadcast goes, yes, it receives it rather well, but the audio
is terrible on wide band FM.
Its extremely thin and there is no low end frequency response even when
using headphones.
This is a good feature for receiving voice traffic on the ham freqs, or
listening to other traffic, but not for music or extended listening on the
broadcast bands.
73
Colin, V A6BKX