From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:29:34 -0400
Hi Brett.

I did do quite a bit of general listening with the TS430S.  It wasn't the
hotest receiver I ever had, but it wasn't bad, and it had fairly nice audio
characteristics for general listening, especially if you sprung for the 6
KHz AM filter or one of the after market knock-offs.

One problem that I had with mine was with the relays that were used to
switch in the bandpass filters for the various ranges.  After some
operating time, the relay contacts began to oxidize and make very poor
contact.  There was a certain magic spot on the top of the radio that you
could tap and everything would come back to life until the next time you
tuned to a different range.

I ended up sending to Kenwood for another set of relays.  A friend of mine
found a modification that passed a small DC switching current through the
relays.  It involved adding a blocking cap to keep the DC from going where
you didn't want it and maybe one or two other components.  My friend was a
technician over at Scientific Radio at the time, and had access to
commercial grade equipment and tools, and did the modification, realigned
the radio, told me the the thermal drift for the master oscillator for the
first hour was 30 Hz, and when I got the radio back, it sounded great, and
I never had another bit of trouble with it.  I probably would have kept
that radio for years if I hadn't gotten laid off from work, but I hit a
point where I needed money more than ham radio, so I sold out almost all of
the station.  I bought an old SB401/SB303 pair to keep something on the air
and used that along with my Icom IC2AT.

Eventually, I got hungry enough to even sell the Heathkit twins.

Fortunately, a few weeks later, I found my present job, and the day before
I started the job, I won a Icom IC735 as the Grand Prize from a local
hamfest, and I was back on the air.

I do recall using the TS430S to tune VLF and Medium Wave.  It wasn't too
bad.  Of course, I had the good fortune of living 37 miles outside of
Rochester, then, so a full sized yard in a quiet listening location went a
long way.

On this coming Monday, it will be 17 years since I started my present job.

As painful as it was selling out the station, it was kind of fun building
it back up again once I got back on my feet!

73, de Lou K2LKK