From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:43:27 -0500
I knew there was another reason I've never bothered to apply for the
directory assistance exemption. I mean, apart from not hating to call
directory assistance (having worked there, umm, it's not pretty). Of
course, in a way, I can't exactly blame Verizon...there are enough
blind people who insist that tech support people know about how to
hand-hold them through using their assistive technology while fixing
their computer problems and get bent out of shape when the tech guy
tells them to "click" something. I know what I'm talking about in this
regard, having worked at an ISP's tech support for a couple
years. Which is to say, if you're going to call a mainstream tech
support center, it's at least partly your responsibility to speak
point and drool enough to operate your assistive technology and
translate "Double click the my computer icon" into keyboard use. To be
fair though, even the barest mention of assistive technology sends
some of these guys into a panic, even if you don't insist they have to
know anything about it. When I worked at this ISP, I always got the
blind guy calls (well, me and the other blind person), even if the
person on the other end was savvy enough not to need the hand-holding
some of us insist on, because the other techs just said, "Oh, well, I
don't know how to deal with the talking computers". So, really,
there's plenty of blame to go around on this one.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
Independent Watkins Manager #361534