AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:42:06 -0600

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year

Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701
Phone: 608-258-0261 -- Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.AfricanAssociation.org

From the article: “I think it’s wonderful that the machines can be put in the hands of children and parents, and it will have an impact on their lives if they have access to electricity,” Larry Cuban, a Stanford University education professor, said in an interview. “However, if part of their rationale is that it will revolutionize education in various countries, I don’t think it will happen, and they are naïve and innocent about the reality of formal schooling.”

Give me a break; such condescension. Of course it will revolutionize education...it will allow access to more information...and information is power.

From the New York Times:

TECHNOLOGY   | November 30, 2006
For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs Big Debate
By JOHN MARKOFF
The debate is centered on whether cheap laptops are the best way to improve education in the developing world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/technology/30laptop.html?emc=eta1