Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Carrie Coineandubh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:29:13 -0800
> Date:    Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:24:38 -0500
> From:    =?windows-1252?Q?Philip?= <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Fasting Blood Sugar

If exercise is a
> major factor that can overcome dietary factors, how do we explain the
> Northwestern Pacific Indians who were reportedly fairly sedentary =
> fishermen
> but apparently were not obese?

*** It is hard to generalize about PacNW Indians since there were so many
different groups and lifeways changed over time, but you may be
underestimating the "exercise" involved in fishing for huge salmon and
marine mammals. Most groups were 'sedentary' in that they had permanent
winter camps and temporary summer camps, but not all men were fishermen,
some specialized in hunting land animals as well. Fishing and hunting were
both seasonal activities, and both required the expenditure of significant
effort. Also, religious beliefs often dictated long fasting and purification
rituals before hunting could begin, so they did fast *by choice* regularly.
Women were constantly in motion harvesting wild foods, making clothes and
other implements, etc.  The archeological record shows specimens in
excellent health except for a relatively high frequency of dental abscesses
caused by excessive tooth wear from the hot rock cooking method.

> Lions do not get fat amidst
> plentiful antelope, yet domestic housecats do become obese and often =
> remain
> obese despite owner's efforts to limit their calories and let them =
> exercise.

*** The effort needed to bring down an antelope is significantly greater
than that needed to chase a string for a few minutes.

> If food type does not matter much, why is it that a cat or dog will eat
> itself to death on pet food, but will reportedly never do so in the =
> wild?

*** Of course type of food matters. Cats and dogs fed species-appropriately
do not become obese and diabetic like so many kibble-fed ones do, even if
they do not get as much exercise and might be desireable.

--Carrie