ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:45:52 -0600
I've got good news for you! The good news is you have all the help you need
right there. No patch, gum, tablet or capsule will get you to quit if not
committed to it yourself and also seek God on it. I smoked for 20 years,
quit so many times I lost count. I quit for as short a time as it took me
to think about lighting up again to two years down the road. Man was that
stupid or what?   It was pathetic really, I found myself sneaking smokes in
the garage and putting the butts in the chimney clean out   so as to not
disappoint my family. Here I was  nearly 30 years old sneaking smokes like
I did when I started at 13. Finally after many times of attempting to stay
permanent, and really being as disgusted with it as you seem you are, I
found I had run out of smokes and needed to pick some more up and it dawned
on me again how I really wanted to quit. I stood at our kitchen counter, I
remember it as I was there now. I stood there and made a deal with God.
Perhaps it isn't even  proper to do such with God, I was weeks into my
Christian birth, and for me it was not only the bit of being sick of waking
up tired, clogged up nasally, headaches if I smoked too much or too little,
but also I felt I was not doing God justice as he gave me this body and I
was abusing it and I also just felt it wasn't right, that was me, I'm not
projecting any of that on to you. Anyway, I stood there and  said... "God?
I'll make you a deal. I want to quit, I think you want me to quit. But as
hard as I have tried in the past, the withdrawals are too much for me to
handle. Here's the deal Lord, I will commit to the habit side, that is, I
will refrain the physical habit side and exercise my will to just not think
of smoking, and for that matter not think of not smoking for that matter
which is just as bad, if you take care of the  withdrawals." I'm happy to
report he took me up on that offer and not only did he give me zero
withdraws, but I believe because I was serious and gave it to him, I had no
need to curve the habits. You know, after you eat dinner, get busy so you
don't think of smoking or when you feel like one to quick change your mind,
do something else or whatever. It was almost as literally as if I'd never
smoked. Believe me when I say the withdrawals for me prior to that were not
good. I would literally plan my times of quitting around any major
decisions due to the tiredness and I could literally sit and stare for long
bouts of time and not realize I was doing it. I would have been content
watching paint dry. Of course then the irritability bit came on an all that
too. Anyway, you have what you need to quit, you have your will to exercise
over your body, and you have God to help you as well. You can do it and I
know God will be faithful to help you. Literally. No joke.

Brad