ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:32:41 -0500
The Picture of Baptism

Acts 8:26-39

Pictures frequently communicate in ways that words cannot. For
example, a photo or  painting may bring emotions that words can't
describe. In the same way, baptism is a powerful picture of our
salvation experience.

When we enter the waters of baptism, we're proclaiming the gospel
message. Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and lives again. By
proclaiming His message, we're identifying ourselves with Him. Romans
6:4 says we have been buried with Him through baptism into death.
We're now dead to the power of sin. Being raised up out of the water
expresses our new life in Christ and our union with Him.
Our  heavenly Father physically raised Jesus from the dead and gave
Him life. And He's done the same for us spiritually. Our unbelieving
family and friends need to "see" this message in our life.

Baptism is also a public declaration of our faith in the resurrection
of Jesus Christ, and in our own future resurrection. After appearing
on earth, Jesus ascended into heaven to take His rightful place at
His Father's side. Someday we'll  receive a resurrection body and
live forever with Him.

The image of baptism serves as a reminder of what the Savior has done
for us. It  points to the truth that there's life beyond the grave.
Everlasting existence in the presence of the Lord is waiting for
every person who chooses to trust in  Christ. Baptism is a
commandment, not an option. As such, it's both an obligation and an
awesome privilege. Have you publicly identified yourself with  Jesus
through the act of baptism?