From:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:49:12 -0400

Hi all.  Just wanted to warn people who will be flying anytime soon that
peanut butter (in the jar)  is not allowed in carry-on bags.

I tried to research this before I flew, and the list of banned items
does not include peanut butter.  In fact, the TSA webpage specifically
says "solid food" is allowable.  However, since they classify things
like yogurt and lip balm as "liquids" I was concerned that peanut butter
might also be a problem.

For the first part of our journey I had packed the peanut butter in the
checked bags - no problem.  But after traveling about  for some days we
had shifted it to a small duffle because I was using it to fix my son
lunches...the problem came when we were boarding a flight from Athens to
crete, and I had neglected to get the peanut butter out of the duffle
and back into the checked bags - the x-ray guy  picked up on the Peanut
butter and they confiscated it and threw it out :-( .

We were sadder but wiser.

You might be able to get it on board if you could find it in a very
small container (less than 3 ozs) and included it in your little bag of
liquids.  Or you might  be able to prepare a PB  and rice cake in
advance and get it on the plane - maybe in that form they would consider
it solid; I don't know.

Well, FYI..