From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:52 -0700

Hello -
I bought some oat groats a while back and that led me to purchase a
Wondermill so I can grind oat flour. (Oh boy!)

Before I can grind my oats, I need to "clean" the mill by grinding
some white rice and then throw away the rice flour.  We always rinse
our rice with water a few times before we cook it - I thought that
was to help eliminate any possible gluten contamination as well as to
improve the rice texture.

Do you think there is any risk of contaminating the mill if I don't
wash the rice first?  If I do wash it, how should I dry it?

We have some Mahatma extra long grain enriched rice, and I called
them to ask if it was gluten free since they also make some seasoned
rice mixes that have wheat as an ingredient.  The customer service
representative said that their white and brown rice are processed on
dedicated lines in the same plant as the seasoned rice mixes.  She
didn't know if either the white or brown rice could be contaminated
by airborne flour, only that they don't intentionally add wheat or
gluten.  Folks with corn allergies/sensitivities should note that
corn is used to enrich the rice.

By the way, we don't usually eat the Mahatma rice, we use it for
stuffing tube socks which we heat in the microwave and use for warmth
for our various aches and pains.

I would appreciate any of your thoughts or product recommendations/
warnings.

Jackie in AZ

*******
*******