From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:10:21 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it has taken so long to summarize, but responses trickled in for quite awhile on this one.
I did receive some great info and the best news was that we found a GFCF substitute for whipping cream.   In the frozen section of the market, we found Rich's Whip.  It is a small carton like whipping cream comes in and the taste is wonderful!  My friend was so excited about it.  (It is sometimes found in the Kosher section of the frozen food.)

Below are some of the other responses that I received.

I hope that some of you find this info helpful.

Happy GF Eating!
Barbara

1.    Re: Kineret Whipped Topping,
Though not in your area, I can only purchase it during Passover time, in stores that have a significant Jewish/Kosher for Passover selection. I live in CT, but travel to NY to buy it, and then stock up for the year. I'd suggest that she find a local Jewish market and see if they have any leftover, or if they will connect her with Kineret to see if they have any leftover...

2.    Cool Whip is non-dairy and gluten free (although it doesn't say so).  I eat both "lite" and fat free, no reaction at all.  I'm lactose intolerant as well as GF
MY COMMENT:  Cool Whip may be dairy free, but it is NOT GFCF.  Many items say they are dairy free, but contain casein.  I have never understood that.  I do not know whether it is lactose free or not.

3.    I don't know about a "true" CF diet, but my information came as follows:

  Dr. S. Lieberman said:
  "Many people who are sensitive to the casein in cow's milk find that they can tolerate goat's milk and sheep's milk...."

  From godairyfree.org:
  What about Goat's Milk?  Although many people who are sensitive to cow's milk, opt for soya milk as the first alternative, around 30% of cow's milk intolerant/allergic babies also react to soya milk. In this case, either a hydrolysed formula, or a goat's milk formula may
be more agreeable.   Although goat's milk is also animal milk with a number of cross
reactivities with cow's milk it is widely reported, anecdotally, to be far better tolerated than cow's milk, although, to date, there has been a dearth of robust scientific studies to support these report. However, recent research suggests that:
   Goat's milk contains very low levels of alpha-sl-casein resulting in smaller, softer and more easily digested curds when acidified in the infant stomach.
   Goat's milk naturally contains nucleotides, which recent studies suggest may be able to modulate the immune system and suppress response to food allergens.
   Regular consumption of goat's milk has been shown to reduce gut leakiness, inflammation and villi damage. It may also enhance the gastrointestinal barrier function, reducing the opportunity for food allergens to pass intact into the blood stream.
   In terms of nutrition (a concern of some health professionals) a study reported in the Journal of Paediatric Child Health (Nov 05) concluded that `adequate growth is sustained over the first half of infancy when goat milk formula is the predominant source of nutrition...'
  I react very badly to cow's milk, and not just the lactose.  But in small amounts I don't even notice when I switch to goat's milk, goat cheese, etc.  But it sounds like that is not for everyone.  Going dairy free was really difficult (especially since I'm also allergic to soy), so I gave goat a try and I'm glad I did because at least I can have a little feta now and then!   :)

4.    Re: Kineret Whipped Topping
The consensus is that it is automatically GF with no chance of cross contamination since it is a Kosher for Passover product.  One person has used it for 3 years with similar restrictions to dairy, soy, and also corn and has had no problems.

I also asked for suggestions for similar toppings for people who can't have dairy and soy and are GF.  One person suggested meringue or marshmallow cream and another suggested a frosting from any standard cookbook made from meringue, sugar, water, and vanilla.

5.     For the powdered milk,  you can substitute Nutquik (almonds), DariFree (potato based), or else a corn or soy based powdered baby formula.

  I use a little goat cheese when I make pizza.  For tacos I just don't use any at all.  I have made a parmesan replacement using almonds.

6.    Soya Whip is available next to the regular whipped cream in a can.  I've found it at Whole Foods and Wild Oats.

7.    I believe I saw it at Hungarian Kosher Foods, 4020 Oakton St, Skokie, IL 60076, (847) 674-8008, around Passover. Not sure if they would still have any in stock, but you/she could try calling them.

8.    Use a milk sub for the dried milk...Vance's dairy free, ground nuts, soy baby formula, or leave dry milk out, & just use less as a thicken w/ a milk sub in place of water.

9.    Arnold Gundersen's No Milk Frozen Custard

3 pints Coffee Rich creamer
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 rounded Tbs. cornstarch
1 c. Rich's Whip, whipped
2 tsp. vanilla

Heat Coffee Rich in a heavy pan on the stove or in a large bowl in the microwave.
Beat eggs, sugar, salt & cornstarch until fluffy.
Add to hot liquid, mix well. Heat to boiling, cook a 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat & chill. Beat Rich's Whip & stir into cooled mixture along w/ the vanilla. Pour into ice cream maker & freeze.
(This recipe 1/3's nicely using 1 rounded tsp. cornstarch for smaller amounts.)

A third of a recipe workes well in a Donvier ice cream maker.  It has a special mixing bowl that is frozen in the freezer.  The frozen bowl is dropped into its insulated case and the beater and chilled custard are added.  Crank for about 15 minutes & then removed paddles, replace lid & cover w/ a terry towel to cure for about 30 minutes or so. YUM! And NO ice or salt.

The ice cream maker carries a steep price tag in a department store, but you may be lucky enough to find on at a garage sale or Goodwill if you keep your eyes open.  I've found 3 so far...all priced in the $5 range.

No nutritional value here unless you count the eggs...very much the same as the real thing!

Disclaimer ---  I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.