From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 09:56:06 -0500

While I do not condone rudeness by owner/managers, I can understand their frustrations with our diet.  I am an old-timer...17 years gf.  When I was first diagnosed...and not by a gluten challenge, I might add.. it was "rare:...one in ten thousand.  I eat out often here in NYC and have learned how to order.

The responsibilty for out diet is OURS..no one else's.  I can honestly say that after the first few months of finding out HOW to order, I have never gotten a non-gf meal and have never had a reaction.

I have made many suggestions over the years to the group...so here goes again.

First of all, forget that you are going to get any pasta dishes or sauces.  If nothing else, you'll be dealing with cross contamination.  If you want pasta w/ sauce, make it at home.

Get dishes that are grilled....steaks, burgers, chicken, fish   The only things I get on chicken and fish are garlic and olive oil or butter.

A baked potatoe, if you eat potatoes, is safe..it is contained and hard to get gluten into it.

If you have a fav food or ethnic choice, go the library and look up an ethnic cookbook TO SEE HOW THE DISH IS MADE AND WHAT'S IN IT.  That can open up a world of possibliites for you.  Brasilian cooking, for example is gf.  The only thing with wheat is bread.

Ask if their deep fryer is dedicated only for french fries.

Make a friend of the waitress and ask specific questions about a dish...get it down to one or two choices and question about them.  And do it with a smale~~you 'll be surprised how far you'll get.

Again, I go to busy NYC restaurants and run into absolutely no problems.  Of course, when I get a new server who doesn't seem to be taking me seriously, I have been known to tell them that my severe allergy will result in projectile vomitting and diarrhea and when that happens I"ll be sure to face in their direction..said with a smile.  Works every time!!