Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jacqueline Pontious <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 16:24:36 -0400

I was in a restaurant here in Towson, Maryland this past week to have lunch with a friend, a nurse.  She is familiar with my dietary requirements and the routine I use to inquire about the menu and what I can eat.  she watched as I asked about menu specifics and my diet.  The waitress was resistant - she was very busy.  After two questions and her subsequent returns, she brought the manager with her.  He opened his conversation with:

"You have given us this challenge and expect us to come up with an answer.  Obviously we have to be very careful about what we suggest.  We don't have time to investigate ingredients in our condiments.  You appear here at a busy lunch time to challenge (that word again!!!) us and obviously we are liable for what we serve to you."  so forth and etc.

People were beginning to look at our table and whisper, because 1) the waitress was loud to start, and 2) now the manager was here.  I knew it was time to leave or give up.  So I looked down at the menu, spied a greek salad and asked for it to be serve with olive oil only, and no croutons.

The manager had already suggested a bland broiled chicken breast with nothing on it.  He felt "safe" with that.  I told him that it sounded disgusting.

As you all can see, it was not a good time for anybody.  But my salad was delicious and it was nice to be with my friend.

Counterpoint to this, a few days later, I called a popular Italian restaurant in my home area to inquire about their menu and to explain my gluten free status, to see if there was anything that the chef could prepare.  He knew immediately about gluten.  Told me what I could not eat (of course I already knew that but I was delighted that he did) and proceeded to tell me what he could prepare for me.  It was that simple.

Some people can deal, and some people just can't.

That's life in the gluten free world.

Jackie