BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:31:12 -0200
Eric,

I like the bowing from rust jacking scenario.
The trick is to get the shoring or the lintel in before the brick falls.
There is still a period of time in which when the lintel is swapped out
that there would not be shoring in place.
I am curious if there are any time studies on how long one has to swap
out a lintel vs. length of lintel, age of bldg., type of brick, quality
of existing materials, height of head joint etc.
This is one of those places where I think no knowledge is less dangerous
than half knowledge.
Simply instruct that under all conditions the brick will be shored ASAP.
Then pray.

Considering swapping out a lintel is mostly maintenance more than histo
presto, and a commodity item, the workforce in the environment swapping
out the lintels is the same one that has mechanics who keep stepping off
their scaffolds and extinguishing themselves. An architect I am working
w/ on another project was lamenting a few weeks ago that he had lined up
a contractor for a project who happened to have the latest dropped
mechanic fatality. Increases our insurance rates for sure and causes the
mayor to assign an investigating panel yada yada been there, done that.
So I went looking in the newspapers to see who the contractor was. I
then became curious about the young actress in Greenwich Village who was
beat to death by the laborer working on the renovation in the aparment
below her because she complained about the noise. He hung her up in the
shower stall to make it look like suicide but left a sneaker print on
top of the toilet seat.

Things unravel all the time. Even my story line.

][<en