From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:09:59 -0700
I would think that the CPU could not make any noise. If it was loose, it
would most likely cause operational problems. However, that said, you
can check to see that the little handle that holds the CPU in place is
down all the way and hooked into place. Hard to describe but self
explanatory when you examine it and feel it.

More likely, the CPU fan is the source of the noises. First try cleaning
the fan and heat sink in place using some canned air. Use a toothpick or
pencil to hold the fan blades rather than letting them spin too fast
during cleaning. If that does not solve the noise issue, the fan likely
needs to be replaced. There are different hold down devices that are
FIRMLY in place to hold the heat sink and fan in place and against the
CPU. You are going to have to try with appropriate force to unsnap the
hold downs. Again, when you examine and feel the installation, the
removal procedure should be somewhat obvious.

When you buy a  replacement fan also buy a little thermal paste (may be
called by a different name depending upon the supplier). When
reinstalling the heat sink and fan, clean the contact surfaces between
the CPU and heat sink and apply a dab of the thermal paste.

I hope this helps eliminate the noises. If not, please post a follow up
for more suggestions.

Tom

g.Computer9f wrote:
> There has been intermittent noise (humming, buzzing, chattery humming) coming from my PC.  I opened it, thinking it was one of the HDDs, but it appears to be the processor.  I can see under the fan that the heat sink is very dusty, but I don't know how to get the fan off of the heat sink to clean the heat sink.  The processor is the only part that was to hard for me to lock in place by myself.
>
> Does anyone know if the dust could be causing it, or if I need to look for a new processor?  (This one is only a year and a half old.)    CPU AMD|A64 3200+ 2.0G 939 512K R (Venice).
>
> Thanks,
> Ann Fennell

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>