From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:11:29 -0500
That IS the correct order.

You do not answer the telephone before your friend calls, or your friend will get a busy signal.

1.  the modem connects to the ISP and sets itself up (gets an "address" from the ISP)

2. the router wakes up and asks the modem how it wants to communicate, then it sets itself up (gets an "address" from the modem)

3. the computer wakes up and asks the router how it wants to communicate, then it sets itself up (gets an "address" from the router)

The "addresses" are how they know how to communicate with each other.

You should be able to turn the computer on and off, but you usually leave the modem and router on 24/7.  They do not use much power.
If the power goes off, this has to happen all over again because the "addresses" will change.

Once one computer is working, if you turn on another computer, then it should work, too.  If not, then there is some sort of
conflict that you need to resolve.  (both have the same "address" ??)  When you say "Each time i boot a new computer I must also
reboot the router," are you asking us or telling us that is what is happening?  That should not normally have to happen - otherwise,
you could never run two computers at the same time, could you?  If that is what is happening, please tell us more.

HTH

Dean Kukral