From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 11:57:02 +0100
I've checked online numerous times in the past and I've, unfortunately,
never found an objective site re Weston-Price's findings. They're all
biased, being either fanatically for or fanatically against him. While
there's no reliable independent analysis of his findings re diet there are
some websites which claim that his past research on  his "focal
infection"(re root-canal therapy)  theory has  been disproved by later
research. Here's an admittedly heavily biased website which goes into this
in detail:-
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/holisticdent.html

(of course the article's  reference to the root-canal therapy research has
no relevance whatsoever to Weston-Price's findings re diet, I just include
it because there's nothing else).

Weston-Price's colleague Dr Pottenger also did a famous  well-controlled
scientific experiment in the 1930s with cats, to prove that a raw food diet
was better for humans - there's plenty of data re this online. The
scientific establishment view the study as flawed as, once taurine  was
introduced into processed pet-food, the most serious(but not all) of the
health-problems in cats fed on  processed food, went away. Of course, the
establishment tends to ignore the multitude of accounts from pet-owners that
raw, unprocessed food is much healthier for their animals.

I find that, while the Pottenger experiment was definitely above board, that
there was  a slight flaw in it. Dr Pottenger fed his cats on the raw regime
with plenty of raw cows' milk, and the latter is hardly something that would
be part of the diet of cats in the wild. It would have been better if he'd
done a controlled study with some cats fed only meats/organ-meats, some fed
only on raw cows' milk and some fed only on processed pet-food.

Anyway, given the definite lack of reliable analysis of Weston-Price's work,
I tend  to only trust in Weston-Price's work when his findings are more or
less in agreement with the far more numerous and more comprehensive  studies
done on the health and diet of Palaeolithic-era humans(though, of course,
Palaeo studies also have their flaws in some areas) - certainly, his
advocation of Neolithic-era foods such as raw dairy, salt and fermented
grain is highly  dubious, given the extensive scientific data available re
the sudden collapse in human health in the Neolithic period.

Geoff

https://livemessenger.mobile.uk.msn.com/