From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:53:49 -0600
Hey Brett:
FRS has officially 14 channels assigned to it.
The first 7, are shared with GMRS.
Most of these radios now are called hybrids, which means they implement 22
channels instead of 14.  The last 8 are also shared with GMRS.  The first
seven are hi power, meaning you can tx up to 2 watts without a license, the
second seven, that is from channels 8 to 14 are low power, which is half a
wat unlicensed, and the last 8 are also low power, half a watt, since to use
higher power would require a license for the GMRS user.
I think the regulation is something to do with the fact that half a watt
from a handheld radio with limitations on erp would not significantly impact
GMRS users on the licensed GMRS frequencies.
FRS or hybrid handhelds with fixed antennas are limited to half a watt, and
two watts ERP, not transmitter output.
You can get more info at
www.frs.org
and