From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 21:46:53 -0400
Hi.

I'd be inclined to use the Astron, anyway.  It's a heavier duty
supply.  I'm not sure that I'd want to cut the cord off the PS430, myself,
since power cords are readily available to fit that radio, but if you are
getting RF in your audio, the power supply is probably not where I would
look first.  I would suspect a faulty supply if you got reports that your
frequency was shifting on voice peaks, but RF problems are usually one of
three things:  a problem with the antenna (might be time to try a balun if
the antenna is a dipole or G5RV), a lousy ground, or a poorly designed
microphone.  I found that I had a lot of trouble with the Kenwood MC60A,
and I had a Shure 526T that was pretty awful around RF.  The Kenwood mic
can be fixed by grounding the mic to the chassis of the radio, but the
Shure mic is pretty much all plastic, and if you have one of those, the
best thing to do is get a different microphone.

73, de Lou K2LKK