From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 10:18:08 -0400
Yes, but since the FCC has been in bed with big money interests for quite a
while, it was predictable.  They don't care if the band sounds like crap
(which it already does, anyway).  At least they haven't decided that in two
or three years, you'll have to throw away every radio that you have and go
digital, although I suspect that at some point not too far off they will
start requiring all new radios to be digital capable.

On the other hand, it will be interesting to see what skywave and nightime
selective fading does to their nice digital signals.  I suspect that even
for the 50kw stations, at the upper end of the band, nightime digital will
be fairly unusable at distances greater than 30 miles because the signals
will just periodically break up from propagation fades and other such
aberrations.  It will probably be much less of a problem at the bottom end
of the band.

I am basing this on the observation that even in their primary loab, WWKB
starts to show major significant selective fading effects at night at about
30 miles, which is tolerable on a analog signal, but I bet it won't fly on
digital!

73, de Lou K2LKK