GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:09:02 +0100
haruna , it is good to engage in such a sentimental topic with you. i am not even close to being a fanatic ,infact i clearly accepts that our small country is a secular state in most avenues.
  that doesn't stop any one exercising his/her religious duties.the state shouldn't interfare in religion is the call.but infact even the baying mub that put king Luie of france to the gallows were actually puting the foundation  for secularism ,what is your take on that .it is from that period that we have the american war of independence and the scotish revolution which never bear any fruit .the terms equality,fraternity and eqality ( equality,liberty and freedom) became the slogan of democarcy. those terms did not exist but after the demise of king lue .

  the king was beheaded .did you get my point.if you are still comfuse let me make you even more comfuse.
  haruna ,you are a darboe kunda aren't you ? we have jallow kundas here and so on and so forth. each gambian family name is linked to a tribe .the mandinkas would like to say Darboe where ever it exist was mandinka originally. but guess what in sandou where i came from we have sarahulehs as darboe who also claim darboe is sarahuleh originaly.
  now coming to myself. i am a mandinka touray but my great gran father only speaks fanafana ,my father did not settle among fanafana's in mamoudu fan or any where esle ,so i now speak mandinka .
  my point is before some will swich off their computers is that ,life is not as straight forward  as we make it out to be.
  the juntas in Bouma who are budish actual act in an extreme way against non-budish but this is hardly reported .
  i am not in any way calling for an islamise gambia at the detriment of other non-muslims.infact the islamic history is full of respect and good treatment of non-muslims.
  by the way i am not qualify to even engage you or any one in religious debate .
  democracy as we see it can be adopt by us to suit our needs and understanding ,no problem. we can take from it what is acceptable in our society and leave out what is not .this is my take on democracy. i do not swallow every huck lime and sinka in the issue of democracy.

  as for pdois ,i respect that party and its founders ,i aggree with them in some matters and other i don't. this is life.  i do not wish to be a politicains ever .
  the gambia for all .but yet why is pdois stiil misunderstood ? my own answer since season gambians don't wish to get involve is this .Jawara's early comments about that party when it was at its early stage affects them .
  also you right said that people find it difficult to adjust to the level of the party mode of communication .i will say though ,i love that party back in 19987 when i was in primary 5 .i listen to them in my village , i said to my gran mother ,''that is the people i will vote for when i have a voters card ''. i comprehend the message ,i guess many did but some may decide not to.
  the gambia is evidently a secular country ,any one who try to deny that is wasting his/her valuable time. an easy question to any one who cares to answer .DO WE EXPORT OUR BEER TO ANY NEIGBOURING COUNTRY ?
  AGAIN OUR CLASS ROOMS FOR ADULT MALES AND FEMALES IS NOT SACREGATED .
  women can choose to bleach their skin no problem .men some times openly have lovers and women the same .parents has lost the battle of parenting ,brothers bringing home girls friends and sister like wise .
  hardly young people go into the mosque or church for regular prayers ,its mostly old men who also have done their time and now thinks facing god is the only alternative .the playing of lotory is open for every one .fake marabouts lying through their teeths all over the place .indecent dresses by both men and women ,no problem .
  this are all symtoms of secularism .the gambia has been a secular state well before independence and still is.pdois doesn't have any program to change that ,infact they will enhance it further .the press will be more free ,electoral system much fairer ,proper accountability and financial descipline .good adherance to the rule of law .innocent untill proven guilty ,not guilty untill when ever or confess live on tv.
  again another symtoms of secularism is people puting their professional ife before private .we have here many journalist who knows religion better than most of us but to be impartial every thing in the media business .
  just like in the accountancy profession .you cannot be seen to be bias or unethical .the gadinal principle of auditing is that ''an auditor don't just have to fair but also most be seen to be fair and professional in his/her duties or audit assignments''.
  if say jaw or baba wants to tell us here about their political affiliation ,then the readers follwoing them will take a back seat .we will just think ,what is going on ,he is suppose to be objective .journalist most justify all they write about .they don't take party line ,not openly .
  finally haruna ,i am harmless ,you are a jula (trader) julas are tough nuts

Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hey Ayatollah Suntouni,
Men I was half awake when I opened my mailbox but you woke me right up. I
didn't know you have so much reserve of energy.

You border a tad bit on islamic fanatic though. I like islam, although I
would only share that I am a student of islam. I am not a muslim yet, probably
never will be according to your understandings of the religion. I do admire your
commitment though. I think our coleague Lamin is also a student of Islam and
he desires the muslim lifestyle.

As you can see, our religion is our personal choice. There are other
religions such as Christianity, Budhism, Hinduism, and schools of divinity proper. All
these religions have followers in Gambia who may be as passionate about their
religions as you exhibit and are rightfully proud of. I don't think Lamin
desires a governor of all these peoples of Gambia to lead at the expense of any
one of the constitutive religions that is why equal treatment of all the
religions may be the way to go. Allah affords us that privilege. I am not going to
quote the quoran for you just yet but suffice it to say that you cannot be a
good muslim if you display an aversion to other faiths and their adherents.

Throughout the world and in nations where a majority religion threatens to
drown out other religions, a concerted effort is made to maintain diversity for
ecosystem sustainability sakes. The reason is that if your brand of religion
happens to be short in a certain area, the worth of your life can be
complemented by your fellow citizen's religion. This is the basic tenet of co-existence
as was demonstrated by all the prophets even as they zealously fought wars for
converts.

If you're going to be PDOIS for anticipation of an Islamic state, I would
presume PDOIS does not desire you, neither does APRC, nor UDP/NRP. I suggest you
begin your own political party and vye for governance of Gambia right away. It
is for this reason De Torqueville advises separation of state and religion.
NOT ABANDON YOUR RELIGION. Allah says he will take care of the life of
religions that is why he will send messengers among all peoples to train them on their
various religions.

I like you Suntou, but you're beginning to scare me. You said a lot of things
that no one argues with. But you said some other things that exhibit phobia
for other persons and their religions. That is what scares me.

Easy bro and perhaps you ought to visit Saudia or Misra if you haven't done
so already. Haruna.