ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2007 02:13:37 -0500
 From Condemnation to Unconditional Love

Ephesians  6:4

God gives parents the awesome privilege of demonstrating His love to
children. With support from family and friends, Mom and Dad can help
their kids discover the joy and satisfaction of a personal
relationship with Jesus.

Sometimes, though, we can become a stumbling block for our children,
rather than a bridge to God. For example, it's important to respond
to their efforts with wisdom. Some parents want their kids to succeed
so badly they constantly "raise the bar." If your daughter brings
home an A, do expect an A+ next time? When your son finishes third,
do you ignore his effort and push him to place second in the next race?

Unless we're careful, children may mistake their age-appropriate
efforts as inadequate and disappointing to their parents. Later in
life, they could dangerously assume the same is true of God. Kids
might ask, "If I can't meet my earthly parents' standards, how  can I
ever meet the heavenly Father's?"

We should encourage our children to achieve. But we must be balanced.
And we must confirm their identity outside of any  dependence on
performance. When we do, they'll know we appreciate them. Not only
that, but they'll  believe that God values them,  too.

Of course, the desire of all Christian parents is for their children
to depend on God and receive Christ as Savior. Parental
acceptance  and appreciation will help them embrace God's
unconditional love. It will also reinforce the amazing truth that
He's forgiven their sins  and erased all condemnation.