From:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:35:41 -0400

Hi,

My husband aged 67 had a bone density scan recently which showed bone loss.
We were very surprised as he is very active and always lifting wood etc.  As
I have celiac disease and bone loss is a red flag, we got him tested by
Enterolab.  It seemed such a coincidental long shot to have two unrelated
members in the same family that I didn't frankly think our doctor would
agree to  testing.  It has come back positive - 17.  This is the low end,
normal is apparently 10 - 240, but Enterolab stressed that this didn't
affect the diagnosis and advised going 100% GF.

They actually said:

Intestinal antigliadin IgA antibody was elevated, indicating that you have
active dietary gluten sensitivity. For optimal health, resolution of
symptoms (if you have them), and prevention of small intestinal damage and
malnutrition, osteoporosis, and damage to other tissues (like nerves, brain,
joints, muscles, thyroid, pancreas, other glands, skin, liver, spleen, among
others), it is recommended that you follow a strict and permanent gluten
free diet. As gluten sensitivity is a genetic syndrome, you may want to have
your relatives screened as well.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience of this testing and how accurate
it is against follow up blood and/or biopsy.   Am wondering if it wouldn't
show in a blood test, but still be active in him.  Going GF is pretty
straightforward as I am already, but the implications for our children and
grandchildren would be fairly major with both mother and father with it.

Any advice welcome.