From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:29:53 -0500

Hi,

In the CDF newsletter that just came out there was a clip of a journal article
about a recent study on long-term mortality rates of people with celiac
disease (link to full article is below).  Well, like many of you I would have
thought that adult diagnosis would have a higher mortality rate. WRONG!  The
study indicates that children diagnosed with celiac had a three-fold increased
risk of long-term mortality.  Most of the deaths were caused by accidents,
violence, suicide, cancer or cerebrovascular disease.  The study suggests that
may result from behavioral changes.

I hope this hits home to all the parents of celiac children!  I know I have often
expressed to many parents that it must be so very difficult to be diagnosed as
a child with celiac because of the exclusionary effects of this disease.  Many
of the responses I received were to underplay it by saying they don't know
what gluten food tastes like so it's not as difficult.  I think this study is clearly
saying it's not the food nor the damage that gluten has done (otherwise adult
mortality would have been higher) but rather the social implications may be
deeper rooted than we care to acknowledge.  Childhood is the formative years
and it's hard enough without adding a condition as complex as celiac.

So, joining or starting a R.O.C.K support group where you live should become a
passion for you if you are a parent of a celiac child!   If not then make every
effort to get your celiac children together if not for any other reason than to
let them know they are not alone!!!!

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/555671

If you are not a member, you can join free.  If you send me an email, I will
forward the full article to you that I sent to my support group.

Some serious things to consider!  Warm Regards, Janet

Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Celiac Connection
http://www.charlotte-celiac-connection.org