From:
Cece Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cece Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:29:21 -0600

Thanks to all who wrote.  The information was wonderful and the kind wishes were heart warming.  I will try to summarize and also give websites. My original post is at the end of the summary if you missed it.  First, it was conclusive that negative blood tests do not mean one doesn't have Celiac.  The problematic news is that several articles that were sent say that with neurological symptoms even the intestinal biopsy can be negative.  This seems to be a new area of study when it comes to Celiac.  I have posted some of the comments and article sites below.
Thanks again,
Cece in Arkansas

****************
Dr. Peter Green's book Celiac Disesae, A Hidden Epidemic is an excellent source.  He has devoted one chapter to neurological manifestations.
 This is an excellent abstract:  Gluten sensitivity as a neurological illness.  You may view it at http://jnnp.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/72/5/560  I
 Also, a recent Mayo Clinic study:  http://www.newswise.com/p/articles/view/524150/
************************
Dr.Hadjivassilious has written several articles on Gluten Sensitivity as a
Neurological Illness with important information on DQ1 gene.  Given your
more traditional version of celiac, you likely have the DQ2 or DQ8 gene.
Below is a little more information on DQ1, just because it is not on the
radar of many GI doctors.
http://www.acnr.co.uk/pdfs/volume2issue6/v2i6reviewart2.pdf
http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/126/3/685
http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/72/5/560
http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/74/9/1221
The latest "Living Without" magazine has a wonderful article in it about this very thing. The neurological (brain) symptoms are just now being uncovered along with gastro (gut) and dermatitis (skin).
If I were to recommend one article of his for a good overview this it would be "Gluten Sensitivity as a Neurological Illness" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=11971034&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum and you can read the complete article for free.
I am certainly not an expert, but I have been diagnosed with Celiac and my Mom has many neurological problems.  When she was tested (the usual antibody blood tests and endoscopy) her tests came up negative for Celiac, however, our GI (who is wonderful) still felt that she would benefit from going gluten free and encouraged her to get testing through Enterolab.  She did the stool test and found out she has 2 DQ2 genes (inherited DQ2 from both parents!  they both died young of lymphoma!)  she is indeed very intolerant to gluten.  Our GI explained it to us (because we were confused that she could have the Celiac gene just like me and tested negative for Celiac) - he said that there are many people intolerant to gluten who don't necessarily develop Celiac.  He said the gluten attacks their body in a different way.  That the medical community knows what to call it when it attacks the small intestine or skin, but when gluten attacks other organs or systems, we don't have a "name"
for that yet.

My original post:
I found 2 1/2 years ago that I had an advanced case of Celiac. My sister had 2