ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:47:49 -0700
Hi all!

I had a tough time getting my desktop computer fixed, and, even when I
finally hooked it up again Monday night, I still couldn't go online!  then
something funny happened Tuesday afternoon.  I'd called the computer shop to
see what we could do about it, but Sherm, the guy who worked so hard for me,
had to leave, and his wife Maria didn't know if he would be back that day.
She said that if Wendell, my brother-in-law, couldn't figure it out, Sherm
might be able to come the  next day.  Wendell came later Tuesday afternoon
to see if he could fix it.  Sherm had told him that if there was a faulty
wire in the house, there could be trouble.  Suddenly, while Wendell was
working, we heard a
noise coming through the speakers that sounded somewhat like a chair
squeaking loudly on a wood floor!  Wendell realized that he might have blown
up my computer!  Since he has a business, he knows how to reach Sherm during
off-hours.  So Sherm came over to investigate, and they found that it was
only a switch on the back of the computer that had slipped!  Haha!  (I think
the
sound came from the computer/mixer/stereo/keyboard combination.  I've heard
a similar noise when I've shut down the computer before  turning off the
others.)

Before he left, Sherm, out of the kindness of his heart, asked if I wanted
to go online that night.  He attached a router to my computer temporarily,
(though I thought it was a modem), until he could get there the next day
with a new modem.  He got me connected, and I retrieved the many messages
that I could get.  You'd think my problems were over, but they weren't!  I
turned off the computer to go eat.  When I started it up again, it seemed
that I could not go online again!  The next day, Wednesday, I tried and
tried to call Sherm or Maria, to let them know that I was ready
for Sherm to come over with the new modem, but there was no answer.  (If
they had tried to call me earlier, they couldn't have, because I had the
phone line attached to the computer but not the phone or answering machine.)
I was able to reach Maria Thursday afternoon, and Sherm finally came over
that evening.  I found out that the
reason I couldn't get back online might have been because I didn't
understand that this was not a modem that uses the phone line, and I was
trying to get online by my regular dial-up service!  Sherm saw to it that
the new modem was working.  then I told him that I was paranoid, so could we
please shut down the computer, then start it up again and make sure it still
worked.  It did, so now I'm back, and it's running as smoothly as can be
expected!  Praise the Lord!  Phil put me back on EChurch digest.

Now I'm done talking about me.  Since I didn't want to wade through all my
e-mail, when I could finally get it, I'd like for any of you to update me as
to what's been happening, please?  I read just today that Donna is having a
baby!  that's great news; praise God for that!  And John, did you ever find
out the title of that hymn, that you sent me some time ago?

If anyone has tried to write me when it couldn't go through, please try
again now!

Looking forward and upward!

Sharon