From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:34:05 -0700

Howdy -
My original post warned that the package notes for Sucralfat
suspension that we found on the internet says it contains wheat.  Our
celiac daughter reacted to tablets obtained from the pharmacist that
were called Sucralfate with a prototypical gluten reaction,
consisting of gurgling stomach and increasingly sore joints.  I also
asked for ideas about dealing with acid reflux as we couldn't get an
appointment with a gastro for several months.

One person suggested that I contact the pharmacist and ask who
manufactured the Sucralfate, as Carafate (the same thing, different
manufacturer) is known to be gluten free.  I did, and found that our
Sucralfate tablets were distributed by Watson Pharmaceuticals in
Corona California and manufactured by Aventis Pharmacy in Kansas
City, Missouri.  I called Watson, and was told they do not consider
themselves to be a gluten free drug company because they do not test
any of their products for gluten and so don't know for sure what has
gluten in it.  The customer service representative said that the
starch in the product was corn starch.  I told her about our
daughter's reaction and someone was supposed to call me back but didn't.

So I guess that each manufacturer can have their own individual
"recipe" for a drug (but call it the same thing!).  In the future, we
will contact the manufacturer to make sure we know what is in our pills.

An update on the gastroenterologist - in frustration, my husband
called our family doctor (daughter has been seeing a pediatrician)
and they have a gastro who will see patients over 16 (and she just
turned 16).  So we have an appointment in a couple of weeks.
Hooray!!  He has prescribed Aciphex for her which she will try
tomorrow.  My research indicates that it is GF and we are sticking
with the brand name, not trying a generic.

I am hoping that this new gastroenterologist will help us to figure
out whether her problem is from too much acid or not enough acid or
something else entirely.

Summary of feedback below, my comments in parentheses.

Your feedback and ideas:
- symptoms might just be side effect of the pill, which include
indigestion.  (Don't think so because joint pain isn't a known side
effect)
- ask family doctor to make an appointment for you
- ask if can see a nurse or physician assistant sooner
-  Try DGL losenges or Heartburn Free (have tried both these in the
past - DGL helped but doesn't any more and had adverse reaction to
Heartburn Free)
- eat 3-4 oz of ABCD yoghurt each day (daughter is allergic to milk
products which give her migraines)
-  Prilosec-OTC
-  Try specific carbohydrate diet (information at
www.austinscdfriends.com)
-  Eliminate dairy as well (she has been dairy free for two years)
- Try an antihistimine for a couple of days. (Although the allergist
we consulted insists that she isn't allergic to anything in the
world, our daughter's acidic stomach seems to be related to her
copiouspost nasal drip.  We think it might be caused by our dry and
polluted air, as she was much better on a recent trip to the coast.)
-  Try Zantac or Prevacid
-  Omeprazole is generic for Prilosec and is guaranteed gluten free
although Prilosec isn't
-  Don't drink coffee or soda, eat 6 small meals a day; minimize
tomato   (our daughter doesn't eat tomatoes or drink coffee or soda -
only water.  Frequent small meals is probably a good idea for her)
- Try a compounding pharmacist
-  In 2006, TEVA brand sucralfate was GF.  Some folks say sucralfate
is not good for celiacs as it prevents absorption.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and sympathy.

Jackie in AZ