From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:57:35 -0500
That was an interesting post - thanks for the reference, Bob.  Thanks, too, to the other posters who offered their suggestions.  It
turns out that one of the other staff members has offered me an old video card to try, and I will go with that for now. The keyboard
is not really an issue.

What I had in mind when I asked the question was some sort of trick.  Perhaps one could get an experimenter's PCI card and wire some
connectors together to tell the hardware that a video card is present, or something like that.  I knew that it was a long shot.
Maybe some time with Google will give a good long-term solution...

I suspect that the WHS boxes that you get from places like HP have mass-production proprietary motherboards that have some sort of
trick to fake them into thinking that there is a video card present.

My goal is simply to avoid wasting electricity.  The server will run in my basement, which is too cool anyway.  I think that I can
live with 175  watts if I have to.

Dean

PS: I might add, too, that Windows Home Server software is simply not acceptable in its present form.  It is buggy and will not even
work properly with 64 bit Vista!  M$ is promising a fix which is undergoing beta testing now and is to be released "in June."
However, anyone who has only a simple small network with no 64 bit operating systems might find it very useful and satisfactory in
its present form.  I had a fine older computer (left after a new build) which, with an investment of $149 for the server software
and about $260 for two 640 GB drives, I was able to turn into a nice server.  There is, finally, a good book out on the topic,
"Windows Home Server Bible."