C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:12:45 -0600
Ok, I'll try not to yell, but I agree this is something that rightly elicits
emotion.  In my previous response, I _was not_ defending the decision of the
mother in the UK, merely pointing out that she wasn't suggesting treatment
as drastic as "Ashley X's" parents advocated.  That's why I used the
"slippery slope" analogy.  We see the treatment that "Ashley" received as
horrifying, but the treatment of the young woman in the UK is not _as_
horrifying.  Who draws the line, and where is that line drawn?   When I was
in high school, I had a similar discussion with my mom about this; when
Janet and I started to date seriously, I revisited that discussion with my
sister (my mom had started to show the effects of Alzheimer's, so wasn't
able to discuss it), and we agreed that Mom wasn't very "enlightened" on the
subject, hence my comment that it might be easier for Janet's family than
mine, in an earlier post:

>My dad was one of those "well educated imbeciles" until I was born, and
then he quickly >learned that people with CP could, and should, be expected
to do the same things others do.

--

Kendall