From:
"C. Kuni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:14:41 -0800
~~~~~~Yes, Paula, the details are helpful.  Thanks for offering them.

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> don't just run for exercise because it tears down your muscles.
>
> I would say, if I said anything about this, that it wears down the
> knees.

~~~~~I hear this sort of remark a lot, and I must respectfully disagree.
This is a myth; running neither tears down muscles nor knees.  Running is
natural to humans.  But the value vs. risks of running are not really
appropriate for this list.   Email me offlist if you would like references
or to discuss.

From:    Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
>One such adaptation is dropping unnecessary muscle mass.  Look at the legs
of sprinters vs the legs of distance runners and you will see the
difference.  ....  Not only will  the sprinter's legs be heavier and more
muscular ...The muscles of the distance runner will be using fats as fuel,
so the body will store some fat to meet this need, and
will be stubborn to give up its last reserves.

~~~~~~You had me up to that last bit.  I do not understand what is meant by
"stubborn," since muscle cells do not have volition.  The distance runner's
larger and more numerous mitochondria should make them burn fat at a higher
rate than the non-runner.  (Running; The Athlete Within by David Costill)
Hence the consistently stick thin nature of elite marathoners.  Or am I
missing something?