From:
"C. Kuni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:08:16 -0800
I'm looking for ideas or clues as to why I have stopped losing weight.  I
started my paleodiet journey last fall and immediately started dropping
about a pound a week.  The holidays came and I was repossessed by the sugar
demon.  Gained back 2 of the ~5 pounds.

Nearly three months later, and I am stuck going nowhere and I want at least
another 10 off.   As a marathoner and full time mom/homeschooler, I know I
am burning lots of calories.  The running literature is full of diet advice
that isn't paleo, and the Paleo For Athletes book seems to assume that the
reader is at an ideal weight already.

On the positive side, I haven't been *gaining* any weight,  I feel good, my
skin looks great, and I never "bonk" (run out of energy) on my long runs
anymore.  But I know by the mirror and by my running performance that my
body fat level is higher than I want it. (I also have one of those
ridiculous scales that will also attempt a body fat measurement:  reads 30!
and if I tell it I'm a man it reads 20.)  I think my BMI is just a tick or
two below the "overweight" category, if that matters.

Here are my suspects (and I may be overlooking something entirely):
1. Eating too much fat?  I'm not strictly following Cordain, and many of my
meats are fatty, such as grassfed lamb.
2. Eating too much?  ie. too large portions?
3. Cheating on carbs?  Hey! I never signed up for perfection-- lol.  This
last one really seems like the most likely, as I have transgressed
frequently in very small ways, but I don't know.  It is such a tiny amount
of starches compared to my pre-paleo diet.

I know this is an uncommonly scientific group, and I wish I could give you
more numbers, but I don't have gram/calorie counts and such to offer.  I
need a system that I can live with long term and having to count quantities
or calories tends to send me to the nearest 31 Flavors in despair.   Perhaps
someone can give me some advice.  Many thanks, CK