From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:21:49 -0600
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:15:29 -0600, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Great stats, it sounds like you're in or close to the hunter-gatherer
> range of health. We can check that out in more detail if you don't mind,
> to see if you really are the first exception I've run across.

I don't mind -- fire away.

> These are the ranges for LDL and BMI that Cordain and Eaton claim for
> hunter-gatherers:
>LDL: 30-70BMI: 19-24
> Optimal HDL is supposed to be over 60.

I'll have to find my blood work from my last physical so I can check the
HDL/LDL breakdown.  As for BMI, right now I'm at 24 (though I don't put
much stock in BMI, personally.  My bodyfat level is about 10%).

> My resting pulse is usually in the high 50's and low 60's regardless of
> whether I've been exercising a lot or not, but it was in a 70-83 range
> before I went Paleo.

My pulse used to be in that range, too.  It dropped when I started getting
serious about exercise and diet (but before I went paleo).

> For example, someone with severe celiac disease shouldn'tever have a
> slice of bread or pizza (when it includes gluten).

Of course.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

> It's remarkable and admirable that you adopted a Paleo diet without any
> significant health problems.

I lost both my paternal grandparents in recent years to problems that, I
believe, could have been avoided.  And I see or hear about people on a
daily basis with health problems that also seem preventable. My wife being
a nurse probably keeps those things in my vision quite a bit.  I'd rather
not wait until I have a problem to take corrective action.  An ounce of
prevention...

> You must be very health and fitness minded.

Yes indeed.  :-)   As one of my martial arts mentors put it, "I want to be
able to run down deer when I'm 80."

--
   Robert Kesterson