Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:20:03 -0500
Marilyn Harris wrote:
> >A book
> >which might be of great interest to people here:
> >
> >Food, Nutrition and the Prevention of Cancer: a global perspective
> >
> >http://www.wcrf-uk.org/report/index.lasso
>
> Thank you Marilyn for this very interesting link. I was
> disappointed that they did not mention Stanislas Tanchou's
> seminal work that was the first statistical analysis of
> cancer deaths published in the London Lancet in 1843. His
> examination of 9,118 cancer deaths in Paris and surrounding
> areas was the first statistical study of cancer deaths. He
> drew several
> conclusions: "cancer is more frequent in proportion as
> civilization advances" (1).  Reltedly, if anyone is
> interested I would also be happy to provide copies of:
>
> Hoggan R. Considering wheat, rye, and barley proteins as aids
> to carcinogens.
> Med Hypotheses. 1997 Sep;49(3):285-8.
>
> 1. Tanchou, S. London Lancet. Aug 5th, 1843. 593-594
>

> Best Wishes,
> Ron

There are some interesting topics in the UK report, and there are some that
appear to contradict the Paleolithic/evolutionary theory of nutrition, such
as "Other key issues include the possible importance of cereal foods in
wholegrain form." It appears the report mainly looks at foods individually,
rather than developing an underlying explanatory model, as Tanchou and Boyd
Eaton did. Until scientists recognize and test the Paleolithic nutrition
model, or develop a better one, their efforts in nutrition will be stuck in
the current trial-and-error, hit-or-miss mode. Progress is being made in
this way, but at an excruciatingly slow pace, with one step backward for
every two forward.

Your hypothesis fits well with Paleo nutrition, Ron, and targets some of the
most harmful foods.