BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts.
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 06:12:47 -0400
Cuyler Page wrote:
> Your measuring story reminds me of a carpenter I once worked with
Cuyler,

Your tape measure example is one reason I prefer working with folding or
straight bar rules. But that is not always convenient. My grandfather
taught me how and when to measure an inch in from the end of the tape. I
also tend to have multiple measure tools on the project. I have not
counted how many on this one. And we read measure off to each other in
Imperial or Metric depending on how accurate we want to be (the metric
for higher accuracy)... we are roughly running 4' x 6' and smaller
SALVAGED slabs with a 1/8" - 1/4" joint (allowing an angle in the
joints) -- there is an intended aesthetic to the variation in tolerance.
As we measure terra cotta for the Brits as a team we are used to
dual-measure as we give them everything in metric, but we check all
measure in Imperial as the original terra cotta was not made in metric.
We also tend to measure 6-7 times and once we think we have it right one
of us checks again. There is no more stone than what we have to work
with. We are also dealing with level and square. My tolerance criteria
is, "If they pee on the floor we want it to stay there." So we need to
think in intuitive terms of the viscosity of urine, flow rate, and the
attraction it has to unsealed marble. I figure there is more wiggle room
in that than we need. We are also at times putting in pieces in a
sequence that is near to as backwards as one can get... as the pieces
that should probably go in at the same time are across the street, 4
flights down, 4 flights up and a few hours of preparation work away
(having to literally grind the wall off the backsides of the stones). It
took us a few hours to figure out our levels... the $100 DeWalt laser
level, about the size of a torpedo level, turned out to be worth crap by
the way... I also brought in a length of plastic tube with water in it
but that confused everyone as they had never played with such a device.
The transactional cost of the communication exceeded the benefit of the
result -- when one lifted on one end of the tube the guy on the other
end lifted his end as well. The whole issue of spontaneous artesian
wells came to mind. Let alone other ideas. Our squares seem to keep
diminishing in number, I bought 2 more last night just in case. Our most
critical problem though is the assumption that the original floor,
itself made up of salvaged material, was square to begin with. What we
are finding out is that we cannot find any square corners, but the space
we are working in is fairly square. Metal studs, we were thrown off that
the screw head takes up 1/8" and we lost 1/4" in the enclosure of two
walls as a result. On sheetrock the board compresses to envelope the
screw head, the cement board does not. We also have to deal with the
work vision in that we are used to working to make it 'look right' on
existing structures and we do not particularly think in terms of new
work that anything would ever be square or precise in measure. Even
though it makes sense to think in terms of precise measure the problem
is that without extensive pre-survey work it is difficult to keep the
compounded complexity of a skewed 3-D masonry object in one's head, or
in other words to grok it right off. So here we are sorting out between
us both directions of perception.

][<en