BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:22:16 -0500
When calcium carbonate (whether in oyster shells, limestone or TUMS tablets)
is raised in temperature to the point of dissociation, a significant volume of
carbon dioxide gas is liberated. POP.

Any free water in the stone or shells is long gone before this temperature is
reached.

As for sea salt in mortars, we know that it was intentionally incorporated in
19th century natural cement/lime mortars without apparent detrimental effect.
Of course those structures had no steel reinforcement to corrode either.

Lime restoration mortars, on the other hand, do not seem to handle salt
environments well. I understand that Gulf Coast fort restorations performed in
recent years with lime are already rapidly failing, and that hydraulic lime is
failing in similar coastal applications after only a few years. Serves em
right for using the historically and technically wrong materials!

As for lime production methods, it has intrigued me for some time that while
good, reasonably accurate production data is available for cement going back
to the 1820's, there is almost no data before 1900 for lime. Lime was
evidently a cottage industry without significant centralized manufacturing for
a long time.

One last observation, as a non-historian. I don't know exactly when the lime
production process in the United States went from piles of burning logs to
stone kilns, but I suspect it was sometime in the 18th century. It seems to me
that there weren't very many large masonry structures being built here before
that.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
Michael P. Edison
President