BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 07:46:57 -0500
Brian:

Not sure I understand the process well enough, even to specify for a restoration project, but I made notes at a lecture by Jimmy Price.  He described a traditional burning rick observed in a remote location I didn't note, as follows:

Traditional “rick” to burn lime; circle of logs, center open with a stake; tie light wood to stage as a “funnel” for the burn; mix green and dry wood packed around, spokes pointed down to center; funnel sticks through at top; stones set on top; hot coals in center to ignite the rick; burns down through entire rick; stones roll toward center;

He also said that the temperature must be between 1250 and 2150 degrees, or you don't get lime.  And, he said that burning with wood creates a moist heat, with steam escaping from the burning wood.

Does that jive with your observations at the NPS demo?  Some of your description seems to be consistent with what Jimmy described, although the efficiency is a good question, when a lot of lime would have been needed for a larger structure.  Perhaps they were selective with its use, like only for a chimney or foundation, where mortar is critical.

Of course, the Price lecture did not even consider the tabby process, focusing only on the use of limestone sources to create lime.

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA
QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104