Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:58:38 -0500
From:
Adrienne Smith wrote:
> I sent an inquiry to Dr. Cordain's website and the webmaster said they
> would ask Dr. Cordain if he would address those issues at his
> upcoming
> teleseminar on acne.    No guarantees of course, but it was
> very thoughtful
> for them to get back to me so promptly.
>
> I am most curious to know if this betacellulin issue is of concern in
> goat and sheep as well as cow. Bovine IGF-1 for instance is
> identical to human
> IGF-1, but this is not so for goat and sheep IGF-1.

Fascinating stuff. These sites promoting goat whey and colostrum products
claim that goat IGF-1 creates a GREATER response in humans than bovine IGF-1
(some whey and colostrum supplement companies claim benefits from ingesting
IGF-1 for body building and sports performance--similar in concept to taking
steroids--as well as other health benefits):

http://www.nutriworld.nl/index.html?product_id=3&categorie_id=521&pr_id=1437
http://www.risingstarlc.com/goatig.htm

Looks like IGF-1 is another reason not to risk drinking milk of any kind in
adulthood (at least not to excess)--including human milk, which also of
course contains IGF-1, as well as betacellulin. Those big doses of hormones
are designed for fast-growing infants, not for mature adults. It makes sense
that inundating adult bodies with signals that trigger fast-growth and
division of cells would risk the cascade of cell growth and division known
as cancer.

And DS wrote:
> What is the reference to Whey? When I get whey protein powder for shakes,
am I ingesting this questionable product that may contain betacellulin?

My last post contains an article that mentioned that betacellulin was found
in milk, colostrum and "cheese whey." Since whey and colostrum contain the
IGF hormones, it's not surprising that they would also contain the EGF
hormones. I have not heard of fermentation breaking down hormones, so my
guess is that kefir would contain it too, but it will be interesting to see
what Dr. Cordain says.

If you do a search on the words "betacellulin" and "whey" you'll find links
like the following that confirm that betacellulin was found in whey:

Identification of betacellulin as a major peptide growth factor in
...Betacellulin (BTC), a member of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) family
of peptide growth factors, was purified from a growth-factor-enriched whey
fraction ...
www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1220692

Max Muscle Sports & FitnessBetacellulin, a member of the EGF family, has
also been identified in whey. It is believed that this plays a role in
gastrointestinal development. ...
www.maxmuscle.com/index.cfm?fa=article&doc_id=397&subcat=sports_nutrition

A Google search on

"epidermal growth factor" whey protein powder

revealed these links:

ScienceDirect - Nutrition : The effects of bovine colostrum ...5 and 6]
Subjects mixed the colostrum or whey protein powder with water using a
premeasured ... These growth factors include epidermal growth factor, IGF-I,
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0899900700005529

Max Muscle Sports & Fitness
Whey protein, when processed under the right conditions, contains unique
bioactive ... Epidermal Growth Factor or EGF is also known to be present in
whey. ...
www.maxmuscle.com/index.cfm?fa=article&doc_id=397&subcat=sports_nutrition

The Muscle Max site article touts the EGF in whey as acting as an anabolic
steroid in "various tissues," completely ignoring the concerns with cancer
and other potential side effects of growth hormones and steroids: "Epidermal
Growth Factor or EGF is also known to be present in whey. Its functions are
varied but include increasing the uptake of nutrients and other growth
factors by the intestinal cells. EGF is also a powerful anabolic in various
tissues."

From what I can tell, EGF is not an actual steroid, but is regulated by
steroids. For example, this report--"Human Epidermal Growth Factor
Receptor-1 Expression Renders Chinese Hamster Ovary Cells Sensitive to
Alternative Aldosterone Signaling,"
http://www.jbc.org/cgi/content/full/277/48/45892-- says that the steroid
aldosterone "modulates EGF responses."

So yes, the whey protein powder you buy probably contains betacellulin, EGF,
IGF-I and other growth factors/activators.

> Even if betacellulin increases EGF and even if EGF fuels some
> unwanted
> growth -- could the problem (if there is one) be dose
> dependent.  In other
> words, could some be neutral or even beneficial but excess
> detrimental?
> I'm thinking of a carb analogy - some is desirable, but too
> much wreaks
> havoc.  Thoughts?  Sorry if my analogy is bad -- just a thought...

That's plausible. The same case could be made for anabolic steroids--in some
people with severe hormone deficiencies they are even used as a medical
treatment. But for those who don't have a severe EGF hormone deficiency I
don't see why they should self medicate themselves by ingesting uncontrolled
doses of EGF hormones, given the potential risks, any more than they should
ingest or inject steroids. Of course, some people put body building or
sports performance above health and are willing to take the risks.

Don wrote:
> There has been considerable discussion of late regarding 'betacellulin'
in dairy products. I'm struggling to catch up to the start of the thread
and better understand the implications of betacellulin. Would somebody
pass me the link or  post that  explains this issue.

The first post in the thread contains Cordain's article on the subject
without the references. This link that Jim Swayze posted is the original
pdf-format article with references:
http://thepaleodiet.com/newsletter/newsletters/PDNCourierVol2No5.pdf