From:
Frederick P Fendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frederick P Fendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:34:52 -0400

I will admit now that I was a little apprehensive when I posted this note.
 But I have to say the response was overwhelmingly positive and even the
few who disagreed with me, did so very politely!

I got 32 responses total.  Some notes made multiple comments, so the
numbers below will probably add up to more than 32.  The summation and
paraphrasing are mine, so if I don't report your comment exactly
correctly, I apologize in advance.

One person said,  Who cares if we annoy them?  We are the customer.  A lot
of lives are saved by this.

Another person was dissatisfied with the slowness of the FDC at providing
definitive information on the GF status of food and drugs.

One person described his/her self as "annoying, but responsibly annoying".
 They felt that done properly, there was a lot of value in being a thorn
in the side.

I counted at least seventeen notes that explicitly thanked me for being
bold enough for saying what many were feeling but were disinclined to post
themselves.  Some of these also said that Celiacs need to be polite when
dealing with food vendors or that they should use common sense.

One person commented that food vendors have an obligation to disclose all
ingredients.

One person asked, Is it reasonable to expect that all restaurant employees
know what all ingredients will be?  This person pointed out that, as we
know, there are many subtleties to identifying sources of gluten.

One person reported an experience where a food vendor would only serve
him/her plain chicken and a salad with oil & vinegar because of past bad
experiences with another celiac.

At least four people mentioned that celiacs need to be responsible for
their own health and their diet and that they have to make the effort to
figure out what they can and can not eat.  One of these said that celiacs
can't just expect to sit down in a restaurant and say "Make mine GF".

A number of people mentioned detecting a sense of entitlement in some
celiac postings.  One person thought this might be a generational issue,
with younger celiacs not realizing how much easier it is today than it was
say 20 years ago.  Another person said they don't think newly diagnosed
celiacs realize how good they have it.

A number of responses related stories about husbands, brothers, or
themselves actually being a chef.  In all cases, they reported that
celiacs could be annoying, some saying so more strongly than others.

One person suggested that some celiacs tend to blame everything that
happened to them on a reaction to gluten (from walking past a doughnut
shop this morning).

At least seven people commented in one way or another that the GF
community should be an opportunity to food merchants.  PF Chang's was
mentioned twice as an example of a restaurant that does GF correctly and
reaps an increase in business because of it.  One person suggested that
there might be more potential customers for a GF product than
manufacturers realize.  Another said that it was our responsibility to
help educate both manufacturers and restaurants about that potential
market.

Two people questioned whether we weren't already seeing my "sprinkle a
little wheat flour (and ground peanuts, etc.) on all products" scenario,
one mentioned the addition of wheat to Corn Pops and the other mentioned
using Soy Sauce containing wheat in an otherwise GF product.

One person reported having witnessed another celiac make a scene in a
restaurant and that that was giving the celiac community a black eye.

And finally, one person suggested that we focus on thanking companies and
restaurants who help us rather than abusing those who don't.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I think I just needed to know that I
wasn't alone in feeling the thoughts I described and it was very rewarding
to have received the notes you sent.
Fred Fendt

----- Forwarded by Frederick P Fendt/NAR/RohmHaas on 06/14/2007 01:56 PM
-----

Frederick P Fendt <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List <[log in to unmask]>
06/13/2007 01:10 PM
Please respond to
Frederick P Fendt <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Are Celiac's annoying to food providers?

---------------------- Information from the mail header