From:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:01:09 -0500

I have had an overwhelming response so I summarized early. Many of you told
me the same thing regarding the requirement that the costs must be or exceed
7.5% of adjusted gross income. Those whose food and medical expenses are
excessive in relationship to their adjusted gross income seem to qualify for
reimbursement. Many stated that you must have certification of your celiac
disease in case of an audit. Some feel that once a celiac diagnosis is
established that one would have difficulty getting health care. I won't
qualify for the deduction but it was a good exercise to be able to show my
daughter how much more money she will need for her food once she is truly on
her own. I guess we should all hope the surge in gluten free food vendors
will soon lower the costs of the prodcuts.
Thanks to all,
KathyB

selected resposes to my post are as follows:

my DH and I do that successfully most years and often save a couple hundred.
But that is because we have many medical expenses. Do you know that you can
also deduct the cost to get to the health food store to buy to GF foods - or
the shipping charges if you mail order. If you itemize deductions, you must
exceed 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in order to make it
worthwhile to use itemizing rather than standard deduction. Itemized items
would include our GF foods and related expenses, health insurance premiums,
gas and parking for doctor visits, any unreimbursed health expenses such as
co-pays for office visits or prescriptions.etc

"You can only deduct medical expenses that are in excess of 7.5% of your
adjusted gross income...And only the difference between the g.f. & non-g.f.
product can be counted...The g.f. bread we get locally costs only 70 more
than their non-g.f. equivalent.  Some items specific to g.f. like xanthan
and also shipping for g.f. can be counted in whole."

"Unless you have very high med expenses & little income, it's usually not
worth the effort.  One older gentleman in our group did find he qualified
for some extra services from the county based on the additional cost of g.f.
but his income was so little he didn't even have to file taxes, let along
itemize."

"A lady came in to buy GF goodies and saw my posting.  She's a CPA and
agreed that it's a deduction.
     b. But she said if audited, you may have to prove that you are Celiac,
specifically that you need to show a doctor's letter, slip, etc., with the
test results"

"We don't use the tax deduction directly, but we have been approved to
buy gf food out of our flexible spending (pre-tax dollars) account.  All
we need to do is provide a doctor's letter stating this food is
medically required.  My husband (our tax guy) says it is not possible to
use it as a straight medical deduction, because the dollar amount
required to take that deduction is so high we would never meet it (and
we are feeding 4 gf folks)."

|  |    |  |  | Inbox

   Get the latest updates from MSN