From:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:06:39 -0500

Dear Listserve,

Your comments about bone density and treatments has been enlightening,
confusing and scary.  Most likely that is because I am in the midst of this
vicious circle and can't figure out the best course of action.  (There
probably isn't one.)

I have been taking actonel and calcium and my BMD improved slightly for a
while.  Then I developed a bit of acid reflux and added Prilosec OTC to this
mix.  Turns out that the Prilosec prevented absorption of the calcium and my
BMD declined over an 18-month period so that I now have osteoporosis instead
of osteopeonia.  I did not know that the calcium is not absorbed when you
take Prilosec.  Now the doctor is telling me to stay on everything but to
increase the calcium to 1500mg per day.  I was checking the PDR and Actonel
is not supposed to be a long-term drug and neither is Prilosec.  I am going
to try the TwinLabs Tri-Boron Plus and I am trying to cut back on the
Prilosec.  I don't particularly want a hip fracture, but I also don't want
problems with my jaw.

If anyone has advice, I would love to hear it.  (My sister, a newly
diagnosed celiac, is having the same issues.)

Many thanks,  Beth

Beth Hillson
Founder, Gluten-Free Pantry
V-P, Product Development & Consumer Information
Glutino USA/Gluten-Free Pantry
www.glutenfree.com
860-633-3826