Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:29:20 -0600

I greatly sympathize with those who are struggling with living with others
who are not gluten free and sharing a kitchen.  When I was first diagnosed
almost 3 years ago, I thought I could allow my husband and 25 yr son to
maintain their glutinous toaster and microwave while I had my separate ones.
My eighty seven year old uncle also lives with us in the winter.  The oven
was deemed a gluten free zone.  This situation didn't work.  I found, to
make a long story short, that when you give an inch they take a mile
(meaning gluten eaters).  Although they may want to comply and these people
would not intentionally hurt you, they do not have the investment of
knowledge you do, nor the incentive to keep your gluten free status
scrupulous because they don't know how it feels to become so ill from
gluten.  They simply cannot relate unless they walk in your shoes.  I got a
lot of flack at first, but I remained firm, and banished gluten from the
entire house and my family adjusted.  They are not allowed to bring in
gluten ANYTHING.  If they want gluten they eat out.  My son used to sneak in
fast food until I hit the ceiling so to speak.  It actually became an
incentive for my son to move to his own apartment, a blessing in disguise -
lol.  You have a right to good health.  Being on a gluten free diet is not a
hardship for them.  If anything, it is more of a hardship for the gluten
free cook because he she is cooking more and eating less processed foods.
In fact, my family has never eaten so well, and my husband, in spite of his
glutinous ways outside the home mainly from beer, has lost 30 plus pounds,
his weight seems to be more evenly distributed as in his youth.  He says he
feels 10 years younger and certainly looks it.  I no longer have to worry
about sponges, utensils, pasta pots, counter tops, etc.  I even keep my pets
wheat free my dog is a retriever is allergic to wheat and I found a catfood
for urinary problem prevention called urinary 02 which I get from the vet.
I cannot tell you how much peace of mind alone a gluten free house has
brought me let alone no possible cross contamination.  Be well and Merry
Christmas, Dorina near Galveston, TX

*******
*******