From:
Rob Freeburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 12:19:45 -0500

its celiac sprue:

When our son presented the same celiac-like symptoms we had seen in our
daughter (malodorous diarrhea & failure to thrive), we were convinced we had
a second celiac in our nest.  We eventually found a doctor (ped. GI) who was
willing to biopsy based on symptoms and family history to confirm our
informal diagnosis.

It was NOT CS!  His small intestine was normal.  The benefit of the biopsy
was it detected something unexpected--esophagitis.  Investigation of the
esophagitis led to another discovery--reflux.  Without the biopsy these
problems would have remained undiscovered and untreated for a much longer
period of time.

Six years later, the esophagitis and reflux are not yet "cured" (the
esophagitis is still detectable by biopsy, and he still has reflux pain),
however the diarrhea has stopped and he is "thriving."  The esophagitis
appears to be aggravated by milk, so our son lives milk protein-free.  For
the reflux, he's been on and off various antiacids, such as Zantac, with
varying degrees of success.

Meanwhile, our 10 year-old daughter has been gluten-free for 8 years and has
become "quite the cook."  Her CS has "three biopsy confirmation," so we don't
have to worry about convincing another doctor of her condition every time we
move, and we don't have to worry about convincing her draft board of special
dietary needs during a national emergency.  (MREs are not GF.)

Sharon Freeburn
   <RFreeburn.aol.com>
   San Diego, CA
   (619) 538-6593