Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:04:14 -0500

Following is the summary for information I received to give to a member of
our support group.  She was so excited and appreciative.  She thanks you all
as do I.

Good northern Italian spot a taxi ride (or walking) from Santa Fe plaza.

Note the menu states that they can serve a bunch of entrees with brown rice
pasta.

I had a good meal there last February.  Caesar salad without croutons.  A
risotto special and a fantastic sesame seed cake dessert - the dessert was
unbelievable - moist and warm.

In Taos - I dined at Michael's Table - in the La Fonda Hotel.  Fine dining -
that gave me a dose of gluten.  Frankly - at those prices - it was a sin.

Also in Taos - the venerable (old) Taos Inn - had a wonderful blue corn
tacos (chicken) in their ambient bar area.  Good $ deal with that on a
fairly early Friday night - free live music to boot.

--------------------------------

In Santa Fe we recommend Annapurna Chai House on West Alameda and Harry's
Road House on Old Las Vegas Highway (at Harry's specify that you can't have
anything from the grill, often they will pan sear something for you...just
be specific and they'll do it right). At Annapurna, many items on the menu
are marked gluten free and are very tasty, as are desserts and of course the
chai and all the teas.

There is a great Whole Foods on Cerrillos Road, too, with strong GF sections
(Glutino, Whole Foods Bakehouse, fresh stuff, good sushi at the deli, and so
on). The store also carries Redbridge GF beer.

Check out glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com as she writes from Northern New
Mexico and has plenty of good local tips.

Both my mother (who also has celiac) & I have had good luck at The Shed in
Santa Fe. They generally know what is in the food, and are happy to help us
choose appropriate menu items. I'm not sure they'll understand if she says
celiac, or gluten--best to just pick a couple of menu items that look
appealing and ask how they're prepared.

If she's also going to be traveling toward Albuquerque from Santa Fe,
there's a good restaurant in Bernalillo, called The Range. Again, they know
what's in the food, so pick what you like, and then ask what's in it. They
do have at least one flourless chocolate dessert.

They also have a branch in Albuquerque, but I've never been there.

Also in Albuquerque there's a Persian restaurant, Pars, at which my mother
has had good meals. I haven't been there either, but Persian food in general
is low on wheat other than in the breads. Albuquerque proper has the usual
Outback, P.F. Chang's etc., but they are, quite frankly, boring.

In the past I have had good luck with googling the city... Restaurants...

And click on websites to find some that appear to be interested in assisting
someone with special dietary requirements.  You might suggest she try this,
unless you get some firm replies.

In Santa Fe there are several great health food stores with GF items: Trader
Joe's, Wild Oats, Whole Foods, and Vitamin Cottage. And on Saturday mornings
- a farmer's market in town near the Railyard.

Whole Foods carries Redbridge beer - delish.

Starbucks in several locations - coffee drinks are GF.

Baja Fresh - sorta fast food California style - soft corn tacos - the fish
tacos are GF.

Annapurna Vegetarian Chai House has GF choices on the menu.

The Body Cafe is organic, supposed to be good, and you can ask for safe
recommendations.

Coyote Cafe will do a GF meal if you make reservations 48 hours in advance
and request GF.

Ditto at the O'Keeffe Museum Cafe.

Maria's - I have heard you can order authentic Mexican food here, with corn
tortillas, but I have not tried it.

Be aware - the "Green Chile" ubiquitous here usually contains wheat flour.
Always ask.

And always ask about the corn chips and tortillas - make sure they're 100%
corn, and not fried in the same hot oil as the flour-based sopapillas.

Sharon in KS

*******
*******