From:
Shannon Ervin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shannon Ervin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:26:31 -0700

Hello all,

I was just forwarded this from the American Dietetic Association; however you can only read the full article if you are a  New England Journal of Medicine subscriber: http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/extract/356/24/2548

This is not new to most of us, but both dietetic students and food service employees were surprised to learn from my in-services that it takes 24 hours for flour dust to settle. Please keep this in mind when ordering bakery from a place that offers to create gluten-free products in the same facility as gluten-containing bakery. When I told my friend I was ordering a wedding cake from out-of-state because it was made in a gluten-free facility, she tried convince to go to a local grocery store that will make gluten-free cakes upon request; there aren't many large-chain grocers who will quit baking for 24 hours just  to make one special cake  (I wouldn't trust them if they said they would do so, anyway)!

Take care,

Shannon Longhurst (RD as soon as I take the exam!)