VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heather Smedberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Smedberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 11:50:23 -0500
Hello,

I am a librarian shopping around for CCTVs to provide for researchers at
our library, and I could use some help. We are very interested in
products that are PC compatible and would allow our users to capture the
magnified image to a PC for saving, emailing, or printing. Ours is a
research and rare books library, and since our books do not circulate
out of the building, photocopying is a big part of how people do
research. Screen capture from the CCTV would eliminate the burdensome
extra steps of requesting photocopies or digital scans from our books
and would be a real benefit to our readers.

I've seen reviews of several laptop compatible models that specifically
mention screen capture, but as of yet, I can't nail down if the mere
fact that a CCTV is "PC compatible" means that screen capture to the PC
is a feature. The laptop compatible models will not work for our
purposes at the library, but a PC compatible model is an option I
believe I could argue for.

I'm pleased with many optical and ergonomic features of the Optelec
ClearView+ series, but haven't been able to ascertain if the PC
compatible model or others like it can be used it the way I've described.

Do any of you have experience using PC compatible CCTVs, or understand
the technology well enough to offer me advice?
Is screen capture typically a feature, and if so, does it require
additional software?

On behalf of our library community, I greatly appreciate any and all advice!

Best Regards,

Heather Smedberg
General Collections Librarian
Newberry Library