C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 01:51:41 +0100
On Monday 08 October 2007 01:12:18 kat wrote:
> Deri,
>
> What's your take on this as a disability rights issue in the UK?
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id
>=486217&in_page_id=1766&ito=1490
>
> Personally speaking, I think the mother's more worried about the
> convenience aspect but that's me being cynical.
>
> Kat

Its a tough one, have a look at this:-

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7030000/newsid_7033000?redirect=7033041.stm&news=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&asb=1>

and this

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7032736.stm>

What I don't understand is the Mother's wish to remove her appendix as well:-

"Miss Thorpe has also asked for Katie's appendix to be removed because she is
incapable of reporting early symptoms, leaving her at risk of
life-threatening complications if it bursts."

Since it is patently clear she is able to communicate pain, so this makes me
suspicious.

Cheers

Deri