From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2007 00:55:21 -0400
Hi John.

Well, mine isn't built from a commercial package.  We used the same
dimensions, but the original G5RV antenna that I had succumbed to a direct
lightning strike.  This one is made from copperweld, I'm not sure who made
the 450 ohm line, but the coax is Belden.  The connections were well enough
sealed that when we installed the balun today, all of the connections were
still nice and shiny.  Getting an antenna to survive a Rochester winter is
a pretty good test--I think that this one will hang in there, but I could
wish for a bit better performance.  Wish I could get more height, but this
was the best height that I could manage with the trees and mounting
hardware available.

It is a fact that a G5RV delivers much better performance if you can get it
50 or more ft. in the air.  I've used one at that height during Field Day,
and I wish that my antenna would play like that because I was working stuff
right and left at Field Day, ant the Icom AT180 auto tuner liked it better
too.

73, de Lou K2LKK