VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ilene Sirocca <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ilene Sirocca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 08:57:05 -0400
Hello, All,

You may remember that I was interested in the GFC350, a stand-alone phono to
CD recorder from TEAC.  I finally bought one, sold by ACE Digital Club, by
way of Amazon; the package also included two extra needles and fifty blank
CD's.

This recorder comes in one piece with the speakers built into the cabinet
and you can put it on a table or cart.  The instruction manual is clear and
the operation is easy, but you will need someone to tell you where the
buttons are.  Once you understand the layout, you will find that the buttons
are nicely spaced and you will have no trouble as long as you are patient
while waiting for an operation to begin; listening to the machine's internal
noises is helpful in this regard.  Once I familiarized myself with the front
panel, I burned a record to CD the first time without difficulty.  There is
also a remote control, and again you would want someone to read the chart to
you, but I do not think I will be using it in the near future although i
believe it would be easy to do.

So while I cannot say that the GF350 is accessible in the best sense, I can
say that once we--to paraphrase the song--get by with a little help from our
friends, we should enjoy using the burner.  I also like the sound, but
that's subjective.

I should also point out that there's now a newer model with a new turntable
and apparently a wider choice of what needle you may use, but of course it
is more expensive.

Below I will put the layout of buttons but not the instructions for use.

At the top of the front panel is a display where messages appear.

The power button is on the left of the front panel and sticks out a bit when
it is in the off position.

Above it are, from left to right, the phono button, the A.M/F.M button, the
CD button, the track increment button, the record button, the stop button,
the play button, and the pause button.

Below the buttons is a row of three knobs; the left is the tuner for the
radio, the middle knob is for recording level, and the right knob is volume.
Way over on the right of the knobs is a small button to open and close the
CD tray.  In the same row are four small buttons.  Going from right to left,
they are the skip/forward button, the skip/backward button, the finalize
button, and the erase button.  Down on the left-hand corner is the headphone
jack.  The power jack and auxiliary jacks are in the back of the machine but
I have not explored that area.

I hope this will help anyone who is trying to make a decision.

Regards,

Ilene

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]