From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:23:59 -0600
> > I'm struck by the comment at the beginning of the article about
> > "avoiding excessive fat..."  it doesn't have anything to do w/
> > blood-sugar levels in this article.  I find this commonly accepted
> > reference to fat unfortunate.   (emphasis mine)
> It's constant.  That's the low-fat "religion".  If the study
> found that high blood sugar causes disease, they'll be sure
> to stick in "high-fat foods cause disease" even if the study
> found the opposite.  It's just a matter of faith, not fact.
> If the facts don't match, the facts are wrong; the faith is all.
>
> 	Lynnet, disgruntled
>
> Another pet peeve of mine is the "artery-clogging saturated
> fat"; you never see "saturated fat" in a popular article
> without that "artery-clogging" ahead of it.

Hi Lynnet,
Thank you for this post. I wasn't going to bother posting to this thread
until I read your comment and Kath's. Cancer cells are cells that have
reverted to a primitive, undiferentiated form. They grow out of control,
lacking the growth-limiting elements that signal for reduced or halted
growth when they "bump" against other cells and organs. Because of the
primitive structure of cancer cells, the vast majority require glucose to
reproduce. Most can't metabolize fats. This has repeatedly been suggested as
an explanation for the successes of the ketogenic diet in some terminal
cancer patients and in experimental animals with induced malignancies.

Sources:
1. Nebeling LC, Lerner E.  Implementing a ketogenic diet based on
medium-chain triglyceride oil in pediatric patients with cancer. J Am Diet
Assoc. 1995 Jun;95(6):693-7.
2. Nebeling LC, Miraldi F, Shurin SB, Lerner E.  Effects of a ketogenic diet
on tumor metabolism and nutritional status in pediatric oncology patients:
two case reports. J Am Coll Nutr. 1995 Apr;14(2):202-8.
3. Sauer LA, Dauchy RT.  Blood nutrient concentrations and tumor growth in
vivo in rats: relationships during the onset of an acute fast. Cancer Res.
1987 Feb 15;47(4):1065-8.
4. Magee BA, Potezny N, Rofe AM, Conyers RA.  The inhibition of malignant
cell growth by ketone bodies. Aust J Exp Biol Med Sci. 1979
Oct;57(5):529-39.
5. Conyers RAJ, et. al. Caner, ketosis and parenteral nutrition. Med J.
Aust. 1979 1:398-399

Best Wishes,
Ron