From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:09:29 -0700
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> One of the things that really gets me is that the
> stuff is damn near revolting unless you add
> sweetness to it.  It's bitter in its natural form.

The Mayans drank it cool with added water, and often
with no sweetner, just herbs and spices.  Mole is a
savory sauce used throughout Latin America, and is
traditionally prepared with chocolate and no sweetner.
 Central American tribes often prepared wild pig with
cocoa powder as a savory flavoring, as a matter of
fact, North American chefs are now using it in
restaurants, typically on game meats such as venison
or rabbit.

> And whether we do or not Native Americans saw it as
> a drug and only used it for certain ceremonious
> occasions.

The Kuna clearly do not see it as a drug used only for
ceremonious occasions, as I clearly demonstrated
yesterday, nor do numerous other Central American
tribes.

Mark

Finding fabulous fares is fun.