From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:05:07 -0600
Hi Phil,
Thanks for these synopses and citations. My concern was with the claim of a
connection between cancer and fat consumption, but I am also interested in
the connection between fats and cardiac events.  The two studies that
connect cholesterol to SF are making a leap I'm not yet prepared to make
with them. That is, they are equating CVD risk with cholesterol and I'm
still not sure how good a predictor cholesterol is or how HDL/LDL ratios can
do to help with accurate predictions. I like the studies that get right to
the heart of the matter (please excuse the pun) and connect SF with CVD
mortality or insulin resistance (the pancreas of the matter just doesn't
sound right and the islet cells of the matter just sounds silly).

Still, I will be saving your post because these studies all look
interesting. They are far from my areas of interest/expertise, and on a
personal level, most of the deaths in my family are from cancer or substance
abuse. Its funny how vested self-interest has a tendency to direct one's
curiosity. :-)
Best Wishes,
Ron